Skip to main content

Scouting for petrol

Oil Shortage

The trucker's strike has created a lot of mess in Delhi. Today I was on my way to work at around 2:00 to same place in CP where I had suffered a parking problem a few days back. I was prepared to meet the same set of people and had left early in their anticipation. But today came another rude shock. My buggy was low on fuel and I thought of getting its tank filled up on my way. The first petrol pump had a barricaded entrance. Well Ok! There might be some problem. But on seeing the same barricades outside the second one, I began to realize the implications of the ganged up truckers. Now the thought of being stranded with a decade old buggy with no fuel crossed my mind.
Even if I reach, how will I come back ? As these doubts came to my mind I encountered a traffic jam at a point where it was least expected. As I took my patient breaths to reduce the panic, I found the oasis of oil where people had jammed up; A petrol pump with petrol. Having no option I too joined the train of buggies low on fuel. After that it was smooth sailing and none of those ego bubbling baboons.

It is sad how a country, an emerging super power seems so weak against the demands of people who gang up, whether regional parties or some associations. I don't really know who is right here; the truckers or the government, but I along with millions of others are suffering.

Popular posts from this blog

Giving the finger to a scripted life!

It's crazy to take jobs just because they look good on your resume. That's like saving sex for your old age. ~ Warren Buffet. You have plans for your life, career etc. You've built an entire script but what is this based on? Scott at Ted talks about how almost 80% of the people around the world don't like the job they do. In his career, he found one day that most of the job he did was automated by his competitors. Building the resume was clearly not way forward. It was during that time he he heard the quote by warren buffet, " It's crazy to take jobs just because they look good on your resume. That's like saving sex for your old age ". This was when he left his job. While there are know universities, which talk about finding your passion, Scott talks about a lens that can help in finding the job we love.

Twitter and the world of hate - Delhi Gang Rape

Common wisdom says that venting out reduces frustration. Twitter, Facebook, and blogs help us achieve the same. While what normally starts as a "venting out" experience, I suspect is turning out to be an anguish enhancer. When I look at trending topics on twitter all what I see is a world of "Hate". Small pieces of hate messages turn out to be a big collective bunch of hate. Take the case of Delhi gang rape and some ill-minded comments of politicians and spiritual gurus. What started as scattered bickering remarks against a comment made by "Asaram" has now become a full fledged ball of rage. This rage was "non-directional", had no agenda and was oriented towards sarcasm and wit. While Delhi gang rape highlights poor governance, societal problems and problems of law and order, venting out on a forum that accumulates the frustration by many such people only adds to the low well-being. It is time we use some discretion and post messages that...

Twitter vs. News - Effectiveness in building relations

Social Media has been termed as an effective way to build relationships. Brands are trying to harness this capability by building social presence on this new media. Celebrities today account for the maximum amount of followers on the web with twitter being a fine example for this. But is this new media effective in creating relationships with this vast list of followers, which celebrities often tend to have? In an interesting research by Lee and Jang , they explore the effectiveness of celebrities in building social presence on new media. They compare twitter and a news website to check the relative effectiveness of enhancing social presence. While the traditional PR machinery used by celebrities might give them news coverage, they contend that their tweets can reduce the barrier of relational development as compared to a news website. Their findings are counter-intuitive and very interesting.