Skip to main content

Railway Bookings - Aha!

My train journeys have been on the rise recently as I have had to travel places through out India for my work. Last month it was Chennai and Karnataka and now I'll be leaving for Shirdi, this time for my own holy visit. Initially when I was in Kerala and I had to travel to Delhi every year to meet my grand parents, travelling was more of a project, but now with the ease of booking tickets through internet, it has become much more convenient and easier. The internet although has increased the efficiency, a whole new world of other factors in booking have opened up. Since I decided to make the trip only last month, there were no trains with vacant seats to Manmad and Kopargaon- the two railway stations close to Shirdi (The latter being closer).

The experience of booking the ticket on Internet also took a new dimension with many families looking to take a break in the beginning of the holiday season. The irctc website that primarily handles the ticket queries started showing the message, "The server could not process your query". I had selected Karnataka express, a train with two seats available in 'Tatkal' quota with an assumption that on the day of journey the waiting list numbers would reduce and my seats would be confirmed. After the glitch of servers, Karnataka Express showed 'W/L 1'. I had missed the two confirmed reservations that showed up on screen minutes before.

They meetThe inability of the servers to handle requests indicates only one thing. More people are on to the internet to
book their railway tickets. This could also mean that more people are using internet and that could be an indicator of increasing awareness in the consumer about services on offer and an increase in rural penetration.

Moreover the customer delight component of using irctc's service came as pleasant surprise. I got a call from a customer care saying that since I had spent over Rs 22,000 on booking tickets I would get a free membership through which I'll be eligible to seek a 10% discount on my tickets in future. So indeed a good quality and efficient service has been setup by Indian Railways.

Now the first part of the project of travel in India i.e. booking has been reduced to a mere activity for the good. The second part of travel and the schedules too has been improved as I see more trains (atleast mine) travel on time. Last month I had used the service of Indian railways thrice and my train was never late. Now since the peak season begins, it'll be interesting to see the schedule and the efficiency second part of rail travel, which I'll write about after coming from Shirdi.

Popular posts from this blog

Giving the finger to a scripted life!

It's crazy to take jobs just because they look good on your resume. That's like saving sex for your old age. ~ Warren Buffet. You have plans for your life, career etc. You've built an entire script but what is this based on? Scott at Ted talks about how almost 80% of the people around the world don't like the job they do. In his career, he found one day that most of the job he did was automated by his competitors. Building the resume was clearly not way forward. It was during that time he he heard the quote by warren buffet, " It's crazy to take jobs just because they look good on your resume. That's like saving sex for your old age ". This was when he left his job. While there are know universities, which talk about finding your passion, Scott talks about a lens that can help in finding the job we love.

Twitter and the world of hate - Delhi Gang Rape

Common wisdom says that venting out reduces frustration. Twitter, Facebook, and blogs help us achieve the same. While what normally starts as a "venting out" experience, I suspect is turning out to be an anguish enhancer. When I look at trending topics on twitter all what I see is a world of "Hate". Small pieces of hate messages turn out to be a big collective bunch of hate. Take the case of Delhi gang rape and some ill-minded comments of politicians and spiritual gurus. What started as scattered bickering remarks against a comment made by "Asaram" has now become a full fledged ball of rage. This rage was "non-directional", had no agenda and was oriented towards sarcasm and wit. While Delhi gang rape highlights poor governance, societal problems and problems of law and order, venting out on a forum that accumulates the frustration by many such people only adds to the low well-being. It is time we use some discretion and post messages that...

Twitter vs. News - Effectiveness in building relations

Social Media has been termed as an effective way to build relationships. Brands are trying to harness this capability by building social presence on this new media. Celebrities today account for the maximum amount of followers on the web with twitter being a fine example for this. But is this new media effective in creating relationships with this vast list of followers, which celebrities often tend to have? In an interesting research by Lee and Jang , they explore the effectiveness of celebrities in building social presence on new media. They compare twitter and a news website to check the relative effectiveness of enhancing social presence. While the traditional PR machinery used by celebrities might give them news coverage, they contend that their tweets can reduce the barrier of relational development as compared to a news website. Their findings are counter-intuitive and very interesting.