Skip to main content

Who am I? Building a social media identity


“Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.” 

~ Oscar Wilde


I happened to meet a ex-colleague who I had mostly known through Facebook and the endless shares of Paulo Coelho quotes (and quotes by other well known thinkers and philosophers). I thought this would be a sorted guy. But, interacting with him completely altered my perceptions about him. It was a complete shocker! In fact I doubt that he really knew the meaning of most of the quotes he'd shared.

I've noted in my previous research and through my personal experiences that most of us are trying to curate an identity on social media. While this is fine, I've also observed that the perceptions of people that I get from their social media profiles tends to be quite opposite of what they are in reality.

Recent events seem to have taken this to an extreme. I was shocked to read a report at Silicon India talking about Young Indians Turning to Plastic Surgery for the Perfect Facebook Profile Picture". Following is an excerpt from the report.
Indians in their 20s and 30s are going under the knife to improve their social media pictures, as per a report by Vocativ, a news media start-up.
The report highlights that India, the nation that invented the nose job, is now also spearheading the new trend of "Facebook facelifts."
One woman who was interviewed said "If you don't look good on Facebook, then how will you make contacts?" as reported by LA Times.
One reason I believe we are heading in this direction is that we all like to be "liked" by others and thus we pursue the course of creating an identity of a person that would be noticed and accepted.

Clutter on social media does not occur only for brands. It is equally prevalent among individuals. You don't really see Facebook posts of all your friends and of course there are people you interestingly follow for their uniqueness or significance.To break through the clutter I've seen that people end up creating a digital self that they are not.

All discomfort comes from suppressing your true identity. ~ Bryant H. McGill 


I personally don't think it is worth the time and effort and I have my doubts on its ill effects on mental health as well.

But then is it also important to build an identity on social media?

I think actions speak louder than words. Considering the obsession of Youth with social media, if time spent on social media (communication) is diverted towards action, it can increases the chances of success. The ones who are successful tend to be automatically liked and a classic example is of celebrities on social media.

Popular posts from this blog

Giving the finger to a scripted life!

It's crazy to take jobs just because they look good on your resume. That's like saving sex for your old age. ~ Warren Buffet. You have plans for your life, career etc. You've built an entire script but what is this based on? Scott at Ted talks about how almost 80% of the people around the world don't like the job they do. In his career, he found one day that most of the job he did was automated by his competitors. Building the resume was clearly not way forward. It was during that time he he heard the quote by warren buffet, " It's crazy to take jobs just because they look good on your resume. That's like saving sex for your old age ". This was when he left his job. While there are know universities, which talk about finding your passion, Scott talks about a lens that can help in finding the job we love.

Twitter and the world of hate - Delhi Gang Rape

Common wisdom says that venting out reduces frustration. Twitter, Facebook, and blogs help us achieve the same. While what normally starts as a "venting out" experience, I suspect is turning out to be an anguish enhancer. When I look at trending topics on twitter all what I see is a world of "Hate". Small pieces of hate messages turn out to be a big collective bunch of hate. Take the case of Delhi gang rape and some ill-minded comments of politicians and spiritual gurus. What started as scattered bickering remarks against a comment made by "Asaram" has now become a full fledged ball of rage. This rage was "non-directional", had no agenda and was oriented towards sarcasm and wit. While Delhi gang rape highlights poor governance, societal problems and problems of law and order, venting out on a forum that accumulates the frustration by many such people only adds to the low well-being. It is time we use some discretion and post messages that...

Twitter vs. News - Effectiveness in building relations

Social Media has been termed as an effective way to build relationships. Brands are trying to harness this capability by building social presence on this new media. Celebrities today account for the maximum amount of followers on the web with twitter being a fine example for this. But is this new media effective in creating relationships with this vast list of followers, which celebrities often tend to have? In an interesting research by Lee and Jang , they explore the effectiveness of celebrities in building social presence on new media. They compare twitter and a news website to check the relative effectiveness of enhancing social presence. While the traditional PR machinery used by celebrities might give them news coverage, they contend that their tweets can reduce the barrier of relational development as compared to a news website. Their findings are counter-intuitive and very interesting.